- Northern Lights
- The Northern Lights are known phenomena that illuminate the night sky, especially in the polar regions, with a wide variety of forms that are continually changing.
- Meteor showers (article in catalan)
- Many times we talk about the meteor showers that can be seen throughout the year. What explanation give astronomers of these phenomena?
- Gaia Mission
- The ESA mission that will map near billion stars in the Milky Way. It involves 30 researchers from the UB.
- Time measurement (article in Catalan)
- Time measurement seems a simple thing. The clock hands mark how impassively watches run. But behind the current clocks there are many centuries of history, different methods of measuring time and physical laws that establish relations between the different clocks.
- The star of Bethlehem
- Detailed analysis, based on the investigations done by the astrophysicist Mark R. Kidger, on the astronomical phenomena which, due to its nature and chronology, are good candidates to have caused the strange appearance of the very bright star which drove the Three Wise Men to the birthplace of the Messiah, as is explained in the Gospel.
- Calculation of the distance between the Earth and the Sun from observations done during a transit of Venus.
- Through the main part of the history of modern astronomy, the observations carried out during the transits of Venus, one of the most extraordinary events of astronomy, were the best method to measure the distance to the Sun. That is the reason why western countries undertook expensive expeditions in order to make the appropriate observations. In this article, one of the methods to carry out this calculation is explained. Necessary simplifications have been added so that not specialized readers could understand. Nevertheless, basic knowledge on geometry and trigonometry are needed.
- The history of transits
- Article on how the planetary transits were discovered and how astronomers have been obtaining information from them through these last centuries.
- The Christian (or Western) Calendar
- Not available in English (only in Spanish and Catalan).
Article on the evolution of the calendar we use nowadays in the Western World, the Gregorian Calendar. A complete history from the first solar calendar we know, the Egiptian calendar, to the one we use is made, putting special attention on the important reform introduced by the Julian Calendar.